Posted 15 August 2017
The 2013 Declaration
In 2013 the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Australia made a clear declaration about the church’s teaching on marriage.
We, the Commissioners of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Australia here assembled declare:
- that the true definition of Marriage is found in God’s Word when it reports Him as saying: “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.” [Genesis 2:24]. It is the lifelong union of one man with one woman, voluntarily entered into, excluding all others.
- that the purposes of marriage in God’s design are lifelong companionship, social stability and the natural procreation and nurturing of children [Genesis 2:18, Ecclesiastes 4:9-11; Deuteronomy 6:1-7, Ephesians 6:1-4; Proverbs 14:1, Psalm 127 & 128].
- that despite any actions by human governments so called “same-sex marriage” will never be truly marriage.
- that the introduction of so called “same-sex marriage” will not contribute to the good of society but will reduce the respect in which marriage is held and further legitimise the procurement of children for same sex couples when a child should, as far as possible, have a mother and father.
- that the introduction of so called “same-sex marriage” will be very likely to encroach on freedom of religion in Australia since it will become increasingly unacceptable to speak against homosexual behaviour.
- that God condemns homosexual behaviour along with all forms of sin and provides forgiveness of and redemption from all sin through Christ and commissions his church to proclaim this message to all people.
- that all Christians struggle with various sins throughout their lives and depend on God’s help, including the support of fellow Christians, to serve Christ faithfully; so Christians who experience same sex attraction should receive compassionate support from fellow believers as they seek to live faithfully either as celibate or in marriage as God has designed it.
Therefore the Assembly:
- calls on all governments in Australia to refrain from any legislation to introduce so called “same-sex marriage”
- calls on all members to oppose the introduction of any legislation for so called “same-sex marriage”
- calls on members to communicate the redemption found in Christ to every section of the community
- calls on members to offer compassionate support to fellow Christians who experience same sex attraction as they seek to live faithfully either as celibate or in marriage as God has designed it.
The 2016 Resolution
The 2016 General Assembly also resolved to:
Urge all states assemblies, presbyteries, and congregations to prayerfully and practically support the “No” case in opposing the redefinition of marriage to include homosexual unions in the upcoming 2017 plebiscite.
The 2017 Coalition
The Presbyterian Church of Australia is part of the Coalition for Marriage . It consists of more than 80 groups from across Australia, representing over 3 million people and is led by the Australian Christian Lobby, Marriage Alliance, the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney and the Anglican Diocese of Sydney. We encourage all members of the Presbyterian Church (and everyone concerned to preserve the current definition of marriage) to sign up to the coalition. Follow the link above to do that.